Monday 2 May 2016

Knitted Helmet Permutations for Bookmaking

I have been working with the knitted helmet images and wanted to develop a concertina book. 
I have also been taking some of the titles from the knitting patterns from the Handicrafts book and putting them together to create a stream of consciousness.


I photocopied the text and painted faces in knitted helmets  over the top with black indian ink, working (as ever), with negative and positive.  Whilst I liked this piece  I intended to use the Risograph and realised I would have to separate the  layers between the image and the text.
It seemed simplest to cut out the text physically and begin to play around with layering the image.
 First I tried  printing onto tracing paper and layering over the top.
Next I began trying smaller images of the face behind each cutout.
The riso never comes out as I planned and  I am dependent on the colours available. 


The result is effective and now the book needs a title.





No comments: